Saturday, November 24, 2007

A few weeks ago we had a Disney movie night at my house. Yes, 20 something men and women watched "Sword in the Stone" and "Little Mermaid"... but that's not the point of this blog. Putting that odd fact aside, I'd like to talk about interesting stereotypes that I saw which were not noticable to me when I was young.

In "The Little Mermaid", the main character and cartoon hunk Eric is asked how he will recognize this woman that saved him when/if he sees her. He makes some remark that basically conveys the idea that when he finds her, he will know, because love is just like that- when the right person comes along, you'll know right away and it will just work out. Many comments to this effect are made throughout the movie, by both Eric, Ariel and the rest of the characters.

I wonder if these movies are a big part of why girls grow up and think that love always happens like a fairy tale. Of course Disney movies are very 'fairytale-ish' and we should be able to seperate them from reality, but it almost seems as if these casually-said lines brainwash little girls into thinking and believing these love stereotypes.

Or... maybe I'm just bitter that love isn't even close to what they describe.

No comments: