Friday, November 2, 2007

Male prevalence in video games

Chapter 4 talks about the prevalence of males vs. females in video games. Around 60% of creatures in video games are males, and less that 2% are females. Of that 2%, most are "damsels in distress." The percentage of boys that play video games is much greater than women, but the book said this effects the computer literacy of boys and girls. I never would have thought about this. Apparently girls are less "computer literate" than boys and have a harder time with those skills in school. This is interesting to me. I consider it a good thing when children/young adults don't play video games as much as others, but have never thought that it might effect things such as their technology skills.

I'd like to see more statistics and studies on this. I tried to look some stuff up online but was unsuccessful.

No comments: