Sunday, December 9, 2007

"Jesus Land"

I'm in the middle of reading a book called "Jesus Land" by Julia Scheeres. The book is a memoir and makes you aware of many serious issues such as racism, sexual abuse, and legalism.

Though not as serious as the previous listed issues, there's one line that stuck out to me and made me think of all the topics we discussed this semester.

The narrator, 16 years old at this point in the book, is looking through Glamour magazine and says, "The perfection of the cover model, dark-haired in a pink argyle sweater, knifes me with envy. Anyone that beautiful must be happy."

We've discussed so many times in class the effect of "ideal women" in the media has on adolescent girls. This is so sad. In the book, Julia has a terrible view of herself and is just lost trying to figure out who she is. I'm sure it definitely doesn't help that she thinks being beautiful and famous is the only way to be happy.

2 comments:

jacqueline said...

Erica,

You've reminded me of the "beautiful is good" myth, and argh, it makes me crazy. I'll have to check out the book--thanks for that preview of a good story.

Take care,

Jacque

Telefone VoIP said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Telefone VoIP, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://telefone-voip.blogspot.com. A hug.